Sex and sexuality
- As with the rest of life, with sex, sometimes all goes well, and sometimes problems arise.
- Sexual issues are often treated as physical difficulties to be overcome.
- It can be helpful to view them in a more holistic manner.
Understanding about the different factors involved in sex and sexuality empowers each person work out what they need to have a satisfying sex life.
There are many different levels and conflicting elements to sexuality. Each individual has a unique dynamic sexual make up. This changes all the time as a result of new information and experience.
There are many relational factors to sexuality. These are some of the factors that can affect an individual’s sexuality:
- Ideas about sex come from society, culture, religion, family, friends.
- Sex can be about reproduction and having babies.
- Sex is often an essential part of the deal in intimate relationships.
- There are various medical conditions that affect sexual function.
- Understanding how your body works can help you understand the role sex plays in your life.
- How you feel about your body, and how you feel about yourself, may influence how you feel about sex.
- Your past sexual experiences will affect how you feel about sex now.
- At any given time many different factors influence how sexual you feel. These include stress, tiredness, alcohol consumption, health, happiness.
In today’s society we are overwhelmed by ideas and images about sex and sexuality. Yet talking about sex in a frank way can be strangely taboo.
Come on my course to talk about sex and sexuality in a small safe group.